Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
scottishrebal
Private (Red Troop)
Private (Red Troop)

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Socom Region Lock???   Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:18 am

Ok been doing a bit of digging ever since Dan mentioned socom not being region locked. Basicly the idea is you buy socom from ebay or America in general but its become apparent that UK Sellers are importing socom to the uk then selling them using ebay and they send it to us via royal mail.

After searching alot ive found not alot of games are region locked. from what i can find Socom Confrontation is not region locked and when you play socom you get the choice of server. you old socomers will remember the servers. e.g you picked whether you wanted American or European. then you picked what part. Most of us went into english speaking. for the American server it was like us east, us west, us north etc. then there was French, German etc. Well its the same apparently on socom confrontation. Therefore socom is not region locked and you have a choice whether you want to play with Americans or not. I think the European server is not live yet due to it not being out. With regards to updating. because the game is not region locked all players must receive the same updates therefore all the American updates so far are stored on a central server for all players. i can bet 50 if the updates are not included in the game when it official comes out in Europe then you will be prompted to download v1.03 i think it is now on day 1.

Been looking at people you have bought socom from ebay and most of them were in the uk and the feedback has all been "yes it works." "Yes my son is happy now" "Great seller. Fast delivery. good game" etc. therefore im fully lead to believe it works.

Ive gathered all information from various sources but adding it all up = socom not region locked you can buy from anywhere really.

**90% sure it works. i will not be held responsible if it does not work. i will try and get in touch with people in the UK who have the game and online. i think Dan knows some that he can post about. if Dan does and the people are online in the UK then i will be 100% positive.**

if your interested then i have 1 seller selling the game solo and with headset and his feedback and stuff is excellent:- (he has many, many copies and runs what you could call a game store online) if links die or he runs out of that particular section of copies then go to http://www.ebay.co.uk then serach for socom confrontation. Seller = Futureplayuk (http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/futureplayuk/))

Socom Confrontation (Game Only) (27.99) - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONY-PLAYSTATION-3-PS3-SOCOM-CONFRONTATION-Game-Only_W0QQitemZ390012684144QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS?hash=item390012684144&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1297|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1317

Socom Confrontation with Headset (47.99) - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONY-PLAYSTATION-3-PS3-SOCOM-CONFRONTATION-HEADSET_W0QQitemZ390012081931QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS?hash=item390012081931&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1297|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1317

From what i gather v1.03 is out or going to be out very soon which fixes various bugs and fixes issues. I believe all server issues are fixed which was 1.02 but lag still exists but on recent reviews alot of them have mentioned a significant decrease in lag. they now say you can get some decent games but expect the the odd laggy game every few games.

I stress again all info here is not fully tested and like i say dan may know a few uk guys woh are online so i would wait until then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mad_Macka
Private (Red Troop)
Private (Red Troop)

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:43 am

nice research scott. personally i still dont think i cba with it. ill prob be gettin a few games at crimbo and if the guild wars complete collection aint one of them then ill be buyin it and spendin my gaming time playin it. mite get it in about 6 - 12 months when most of the dickends will have buggered off to annoy someone else and the price should have dropped by then aswell but till then i wouldnt say id be gettin it.

king Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://z9.invisionfree.com/OmegaAllegiance/index.php?act=idx
Frenzy
Private
Private

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2008-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:21 am

yeah i might not get it as i'm getting CODwaw tommorow and that will keep me going for a bit.

But I just sent some emails off to stir up - Slant6, PlayStation Australia and PlayStation USA, depending on what they say about the extreme lack of news and unneeded delay, i think i will get one of these-

With Headset for $69US / 47 pounds / $107AU then $10AU for postage

OR

Without the headset for $44US / 29 pounds / $68AU then $5AU for postage

OR

I also made myself an American PSN account (a new account with the address in the usa , my post code was 90210 drunken ) and socom is there available to download rabbit its $39US / 26 pounds / $59AU

Last edited by Frenzy on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DanCrossy
Major
Major

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2008-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:15 pm

Nice research Scott, and also yeah if you create a US account you can download socom for the $39.99 and play it on your english account i checked it yesterday, if you are not getting it i still suggest getting an American account and you will see how shit PS3 really is, thay have everything, there shop is ALOT better and modern then ours and it goes to show how much of a fuck sony gives to its other non US customers.
After seing that ill be getting another 360 round xmas, it might break but id sooner have some self respect then pay thoughs jackasses any money for the states.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://omegaallegiance.creaforum.net
scottishrebal
Private (Red Troop)
Private (Red Troop)

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:19 pm

no dan don't go again. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DanCrossy
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:42 pm

Ok i got Socom, to overveiw if your hgoing to download it DONT use a US account it wont let you, you need a US credit card. Use Hong Kong, i just bought the game for 16 in Hong Kong username.

However i played half a map upto know and couldnt stomach anymore, its graphics are worse then socom 3, the control is sluggish and doesnt feel like your actually controling the characture, the time per game is still over 5 mins loading time.
Its just really bad, anyone catch me on MSN and ill show you.

Back to top Go down
Frenzy
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:40 am

is that menu even in english?

Quote :
its graphics are worse then socom 3
Socom has never really been about flashy graphics though.

Quote :
the control is sluggish and doesnt feel like your actually controling the characture, the time per game is still over 5 mins loading time.
Yeah but you are playing with USA hosts, i was waiting that long for everyone on the beta. when i played in the Oceania server it went better, and the controls seemed better.

I'll wait until they release it over here, by that time hopefully it will be better. If not we should go to that new game zipper is making.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DanCrossy
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:43 pm

nah these graphics are more cartoon style, even the blood looks bad.
However tbh after playing it from 8pm to 2am i am starting to see the good points, the clan system is by far the best i have seen, you can create a clan logo and that appears on clan members arms, you then have clan rank, if you make your clan SAS its british army ranks, you decide if the person is an NCO or officer then they work up the clan ranks. I actually like this game a bit more now as eventually it starts reminding you of the old socom, scott and macka if you want a free copy of it catch me on MSN.

Also no i aint playing with USA Hosts im in EU server in the HH room.

Back to top Go down
Frenzy
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:35 pm

yeah i made a couple of clans in the beta and fiddled with them a bit.... then i joined todg's clan lol!
DanCrossy wrote:
nah these graphics are more cartoon style, even the blood looks bad.
Oh that nasty blocky characters rendering shit pale

DanCrossy wrote:

Also no i aint playing with USA Hosts im in EU server in the HH room.
So the other servers are up then? cool

DanCrossy wrote:
scott and macka if you want a free copy of it catch me on MSN.
Don't they have some kind of safe guard to stop you all from playing at the same time or something like that? let me know if it works I'll do it with a friend
Suspect
if i can find one drunken
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DanCrossy
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:02 pm

No it didnt work and now i cant play it lol, still not to bothered like tbh, it should work again after 24hrs, if not then meh i think id sooner stick to WaW

Back to top Go down
Frenzy
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:11 pm

you might have to start the download again to make it think that its all good then you can stop it, thats what i had to do with the beta after i tried to delete the xmb user i downloaded it on
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DanCrossy
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:48 am

Sorted now, i might be making a twist to the clan on there if anyone is planning on joining me here.

Back to top Go down
Mad_Macka
Private (Red Troop)
Private (Red Troop)

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:30 am

i mite do eventually lol. if i get any cash at crimbo and there isnt another game id rather get.

king

Back to top Go down
Frenzy
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:33 am

DanCrossy wrote:
Sorted now, i might be making a twist to the clan on there if anyone is planning on joining me here.
twist? Suspect

But yeah I've decided i will order it off that site as the headset (just by it self) over here is $80, so it will be like getting socom for $30 What a Face . and hopefully, i should have it before the new year , other wise i'll be pissed Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DanCrossy
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:12 pm

Minor thing to update you all on, at the end of every game last night i got a pop up saying communication to the server is having problems ranking might not be recorded, apparently this happens all the time i played a ranked room from 8pm till 1am and it says i have played 1 ranked game so guess what ranks fucked, also that stupid fire noise still happens leaving me thinking what exactly have they done.

Negatives:-

Its still laggy
It has that fire noise
The ranks dont work all the time
There is less weapons
The maps are ALOT smaller (smaller then COD some)
There are only 7 maps aswell.

Possitives:-

The clan system is better
The cusomizable player is better (not as full custom as vegas though)

Back to top Go down
Mad_Macka
Private (Red Troop)
Private (Red Troop)

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:35 pm

so basiclly they are retards lol.

king Laughing

Back to top Go down
scottishrebal
Private (Red Troop)
Private (Red Troop)

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:56 pm

downloading socom now this very second. 1057MB complete out of 2765MB. Im getting it for the sake of it. why not at 16 im not going to complain if its crap or not i just want to play it for myself. By sounds of things dan is getting better and starting to get the hang of the game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DanCrossy
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:34 am

Yeah tbh for 16 its an alright game, still will be buying a 360 just for the shear fun of online gaming again, but ill be keeping my PS3

Back to top Go down
scottishrebal
Private (Red Troop)
Private (Red Troop)

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:58 pm

kk got one game in with dan and some guy called stanford. In a quick summary socom confrontation is combined assault (Socom 3) but with a hd look and improvements. Now when i say hd look its basicly socom 3 except everything is more sharper and the balance between light and shadows is quite good. I like the fact when i look at a vehicle (no drivable just abandoned vehicles) i can tell its a vehicle its not blurred. The customization is thought was acceptable it wasn't sims 2 style but thats what i don't want. Overall so far i rate the game 7/10. For me, its another socom which i count as a first attempt at next gen and i would actually give it 7.5/10 if it wasn't laggy. even in the game i had which was 3 of us all from UK there was a moment where i went to stab dan but he was lagging all over the place so i failed very badly. Im hoping future patches will address the issue of lag and i know for a fact 1.30 is coming out really soon which is a big update.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frenzy
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:28 am

yeah hopefully the new update will be released in the next week or 2, so that when i get the game its there to download Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DanCrossy
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:56 pm

1.30 Patch:

New Features

SOCOM Awards and PSN Trophies
DTS audio support
Add HUD and scoreboard opacity
Scoreboard invocation improvements (tap select for persistent scoreboard, hold for temporary)
Spectator mode HUD turns off after brief interval
Spectator camera look now respects user invert on/off setting
Spectator camera pan now consistent with in game camera
Add dive-to-prone
Add lean control to d-pad
Gear items stackable
Extend post-round period
Restrict RPGs and grenade launchers in ranked rooms
Increase prone movement speed
Adding support for lefty control configuration (analog stick functions swapped)
Increase frag grenade effectiveness
Prevent incorrect reload interruptions
Bug Fixes

Fix animation issue when prone rolling near certain objects.
Fix remaining issues with statistics gathering and display
Fix bugs related to equipping of C4 in breach mode
Fix occasional audio drop outs
Fix last remaining framerate hitch when other clients late join
Fix remaining stability issues
Fix hostages being affected by smoke

Back to top Go down
DanCrossy
Major
Major

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:00 pm

Also check this screenshot from socom.com

http://socom.us.playstation.com/image.axd?picture=presence_data.jpg

Notice it says the server there in

Back to top Go down
buzzsaw
Private
Private

Number of posts : 44

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:19 pm

DanCrossy wrote:
Yeah tbh for 16 its an alright game, still will be buying a 360 just for the shear fun of online gaming again, but ill be keeping my PS3

I think I will get a 360 also cheers Not sure when however.
Yeah no way I would get rid of my PS3 as I use it as a Bluray player and will obviously need something to play while the Xbox 360 is sent away for repairs Razz

I'm currently looking at getting socom but am not sure as I hate playing Yanks. Where is the best place to get it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frenzy
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:50 pm

buzzsaw wrote:
DanCrossy wrote:

I think I will get a 360 also cheers Not sure when however.
Yeah no way I would get rid of my PS3 as I use it as a Bluray player and will obviously need something to play while the Xbox 360 is sent away for repairs Razz

LOL! yeah i will try and get one aswell but its gonna take a while unless somehow i get a good paying job or win the lotto even when i don't buy tickets Suspect

buzzsaw wrote:
I'm currently looking at getting socom but am not sure as I hate playing Yanks. Where is the best place to get it?

Some of the yanks are ok, but its there closer proximity to the server is what pisses me off (they see me before i can see them ).

I would think where dan and scott got it from (the hong kong Playstation store) if you don't want the new headset and are happy with a software one that you download.

If you do want the new headset, then you will have buy it from ebay or a online game store (like i did) they also had ones without the headset and the postage was cheaper but it will still take a while to get here.

i found the headset at harvey norman for $80 pale which is what convinced me to order socom with it from overseas
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scottishrebal
Private (Red Troop)
Private (Red Troop)

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:31 pm

i downloaded socom from the hong kong ps store and was already getting the official sony headset for my Christmas. Theres no difference between blu-ray disc socom and downloaded socom. Everything that is needed e.g when ingame you need the map, everyone's customization, scoreboard graphics, gun sounds etc thats all loaded at the loading page before the game to RAM. So when playing nothing is being read from disc for HardDrive.

Update: played socom for a full day and i must say im actually starting to love this game. Yes i know some of you maybe Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
however, i like it and for me it could have been better when you look at PS3 Spec but if you look at it from ps2 point of view its a massive improvement even if theres not loads of new features.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Socom Region Lock???   

Back to top Go down

Socom Region Lock???
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next